Rotter's Locus of Control Scale
1. a. Children get into trouble because their patents punish them too much.
1. b. The trouble with most children nowadays is that their parents are too
easy with them.
2. a. Many of the unhappy things in people's lives are partly due to bad
2. b. People's misfortunes result from the mistakes they make.
3. a. One of the major reasons why we have wars is because people don't
take enough interest in politics.
3. b. There will always be wars, no matter how hard people try to prevent
4. a. In the long run people get the respect they deserve in this world
4. b. Unfortunately, an individual's worth often passes unrecognized no
matter how hard he tries
5. a. The idea that teachers are unfair to students is nonsense.
5. b. Most students don't realize the extent to which their grades are influenced
by accidental happenings.
6. a. Without the right breaks one cannot be an effective leader.
6. b. Capable people who fail to become leaders hive not taken advantage
of their opportunities.
7. a. No matter how hard you try some people just don't like you.
7. b. People who can't get others to like them don't understand how to get
along with others.
8. a. Heredity plays the major role in determining one's personality
8. b. It is one's experiences in life which determine what they're like.
9. a. I have often found tlint what is going to happen will happen.
9. b. Trusting to fate has never turned out as well for me as making a decision
to take a definite course of action.
10. a. In the case of the well prepared student there is rarely if ever
such.a thing as an unfair test.
10. b. Many times exam questions tend to be so unrelated to course work
that studying in really useless.
11. a. Becoming a success is a matter of hard work, hick has little or
nothing to do with it.
11. b. Getting a good job depends mainly on being in the right place at
the. right time.
12. a. The average citizen can have an influence in government decisions.
12. b. This world is run by the few people in power, and there is not much
the little guy can do about it.
13. a. When I make plans, I am almost certain that I can make them work.
13. b. It is not always wise to plan too far ahead because many things turn
out to- be a matter of good or bad fortune anyhow.
14. a. There are certain people who are just no good.
14. b. There is some good in everybody.
15. a. In my case getting what I want has little or nothing to do with
15. b. Many times we might just as well decide what to do by flipping a
16. a. Who gets to be the boss often depends on who was lucky enough to
be in the right place first.
16. b. Getting people to do the right thing depends upon ability, luck has
little or nothing to do with it.
17. a. As far as world affairs are concerned, most of us are the victims
of forces we can neither understand, nor control.
17. b. By taking an active part in political and social affairs the people
can control world events.
18. a. Most people don't realize the extent to which their lives are controlled
by accidental happenings.
18. b. There really is no such thing as "luck."
19. a. One should always be willing to admit mistakes.
19. b. It is usually best to cover up one's mistakes.
20. a. It is hard to know whether or not a person really likes you.
20. b. How many friends you have depends upon how nice a person you are.
21. a. In the long run the bad things that happen to us are balanced by
the good ones.
21. b. Most misfortunes are the result of lack of ability, ignorance, laziness,
or all three.
22. a. With enough effort we can wipe out political corruption.
22. b. It is difficult for people to have much control over the things politicians
do in office.
23. a. Sometimes I can't understand how teachers arrive at the grades they
23. b. There is a direct connection between how hard 1 study and the grades
24. a. A good leader expects people to decide for themselves what they
24. b. A good leader makes it clear to everybody what their jobs are.
25. a. Many times 1 feel that I have little influence over the things that
happen to me.
25. b. It is impossible for me to believe that chance or luck plays an important
role in my life.
26. a. People are lonely because they don't try to be friendly.
26. b. There's not much use in trying too hard to please people, if they
like you, they like you.
27. a. There is too much enphasis on athletics in high school.
27. b. Team sports are an excellent way to build character.
28. a. What happens to me is my own doing.
28. b. Sometimes I feel that I don't have enough control over the direction
my life is taking.
29. a. Most of the time I can't understand why politicians behave the way
29. b. In the long run the people are responsible for bad government on
a national as well as on a local level.
Score one point for each of the following:
2.a, 3.b, 4.b, 5.b, 6.a, 7.a, 9.a, 10.b, 11.b, 12.b, 13.b, 15.b, 16.a,
17.a, 18.a, 20.a,
21.a, 22.b, 23.a, 25.a, 26.b, 28.b, 29.a.
A high score = External Locus of Control
A low score = Internal Locus of Control
Locus of Control
Locus of Control refers to the extent to which individuals believe
that they can control events that affect them. Individuals with a high internal
locus of control believe that events result primarily from their own
behavior and actions. Those with a high external locus of control
believe that powerful others, fate, or chance primarily determine events.
Those with a high internal locus of control have better control of
their behaviour and tend to exhibit more political behaviors than externals
and are more likely to attempt to influence other people; they are more
likely to assume that their efforts will be successful. They are more active
in seeking information and knowledge concerning their situation than do
externals.The propensity to engage in political behavior is stronger
for individuals who have a high internal locus of control than for
those who have a high external locus of control.